Tools

Tools Ross Day

Note: I read a lot and often come across statements that, for whatever reason, catch my attention. Sometimes they make me laugh. Sometimes they make me think. Most of them are opinions different from mine. This one by Ross Day is a good example. My dad was a mechanic and I learned, from an early age, the reverence of tools; worship may actually be a better term. Either way, this quote forces me to think about my relationship to my tools and offers a balancing perspective.

Each Friday I intend to share a quote from my reading. Maybe it will inspire you.

1. ROY JENSEN says:

Can’t they be both? I think tools that “do what you need them to do” are sacred and should be revered. The ability for your tools to work well and achieve the results you are looking for make them sacred in my book.

Now, if by sacred you mean treating them like some fragile art piece that should sit on a shelf and only handled with kid gloves, well, I agree with that.

Yes, I believe they can be both. The trick is balance. Which is exactly what you’ve said.

2. Mike Wasson says:

I am also an old retired mechanic and my wife hated the day of the week when the Snap-on tool man would come by the shop, it always ended up with a purchase of some kind. After a few years I just bought trick tools that made my job easier but I have learned that tools are just tools. I have a lot of trick woodworking tools now and I think the reverence for tools that really do the job for you, will always be there for me.

Oh man, the Snap-On truck!! I remember hanging out at the shop with my dad when the tool guy would come by–the truck was gleaming on the inside. He was a cool dealer and would give me tons of free stuff like hats, or promo screwdrivers, flashlights, etc. The Lie-Nielsen hand tool events are nearly as bad as the Snap-On truck for my wallet. Obviously, I lean a little too far toward tool reverence. But really is there a better feeling than using a fun new tool even if it is just a trick tool?

3. Paul Hawkinson says:

I like tools that:

Fit my hand
    Don’t hurt my hand with extended use
    Do the job
    Last a long time

I have had friends ruin tools of mine through accident, misuse, etc. Tools are not more important than friendship.
    We are to learn wisdom.
    Common sense is not so common.

Sigh

I agree. I admit though that I have went so far as to pick up “extra” tools at garage sales just to use as loaners when a friend or neighbor asks to borrow something. Rarely, do I loan out any of my “good” tools because friendship is important.