Plans that are hastily made, often fail with the same haste.
I have yet to make a proper Windsor style seat. I’ve definitely come to appreciate their curvaceous lines and sultry swoops, but my previous chairs took a more utilitarian turn. This time, I decided on something different.
I’m working on a child sized Windsor chair to sit at my daughter’s play table. This is for a two year old, mind you, but her sisters each inherited special rocking chairs that had been passed down on either side of our family and there was nothing left for her. I’d like to do something about that.
I posted the other day about turning the legs with a new (old) marking stick idea that I came across at an exhibit. Turning used to be the most intimidating part of this process, but this time, it’s the seat. I’ve glued up a seat blank from 2×6 pine and the challenge has been determining what the seat should look like. In some ways I’ve tried to scale down plans from Peter Galbert’s Chairmaker’s Notebook while adding a little of my own flair.
Without dimensions to work from I used dividers and transferred proportions to the seat design, tweaking a little here and there. It’s a dance, but I’m pretty pleased with how it’s coming together. I drilled and reamed the holes last night and I’ve begun shaping the seat. There’s still a ways to go before it’s fair, but I like where its going.
Good thing I made a template that I can come back to if I want to make another.