Thus far in my woodworking adventures I’ve only really tackled single projects one at a time. The current commission marks the first “suite” of pieces I’ve constructed, although it finally feels like it’s moving along at a decent pace and I’m experiencing that as inertia pulling me towards completion.
Last week I put the finishing touches on the bookcase by nailing the back fast, leveling all the dado joints at the front and giving it a final finish.
The outer two were glued to the carcase sides and then all three were nailed into each shelf. Two nails, per board, per shelf meant for 18 perilous pilot holes but careful layout brought everything together just fine. I nailed the outer two back boards down first so that I could use the shelf and visible dado trough as layout prompts to help keep me straight, and then used my straightedge to layout lines on the middle board based on the dado troughs alone.
Because these nails need to impart strength, but won’t be seen, I chose 6d box nails from Tremont. They’re not as fancy as the headed nails on the sides but they provide more than enough strength and look pretty cool in their own right.
Crossed fingers and confident strikes from my trusty old Plumb hammer brought everything home.
I’m excited about how this came together and and I’m really pleased with how “mid-century” the design looks when executed in walnut. That was my intuitive sense about the thing, but it’s nice to have confirmation in three dimensions.
After a final once over with wax I added my makers mark, moved it to the corner and threw a sheet over it while I get back to work on the desk. My next few weeks will be full of octagons and giant sliding dovetails, but it feels really good to have half of the project in the books.