the weight

“I pulled into Nazareth, was feeling ’bout half past dead
I just need some place where I can lay my head
Hey, mister, can you tell me, where a man might find a bed?
He just grinned and shook my hand, “No” was all he said.
Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free
Take a load off Fanny, and you put the load right on me”
-The Band

December was a great month, but it was also a very busy month. I pulled into New Years Eve “about half past dead.” And yet, in the middle of it all I still got a decent amount of work done on the knockdown English workbench, and first impressions are good.

Speaking of first impressions, I’m nowhere near done at this point and already I’m appreciating the advantages of a bench like this over my current worktable. The thing that I have immediately fallen in love with is how sturdy and heavy the bench is. With partial leg assemblies, aprons and an unfinished top it already eclipses the weight of what I’m working with now.

image

image

image

image

I have to break it down and fit the rest of the leg assemblies but I’m waiting on bench hardware to complete that. (More on that tomorrow)
image

The top came together fairly flat after jointing the panel. The lumber I bought is nice and clear of knots, but the piece I wanted to use for the top had edge damage. I planed that out while jointing the top and ended up with a top just short of 22″ wide.

image

Right now I’m waiting on hardware and working on the chop for the leg vise.
image

I found a nice chunk of 8/4 red oak for the chop, to which I laminated another 3/4 board of the same for a finished thickness of about 2 5/8″.
image

image

After dimensioning and squaring everything it will be 7 1/4″ wide at the top and I’ll taper it at the bottom to match the leg.

That too is heavy.

I guess that heavy is just the word all around on this project. I’m quite sure that when this is done it won’t be dancing around the workshop like my other bench.

With all this weight, I’m also starting to appreciate the knockdown design of this bench.

Advertisements

2 Comments Add yours

  1. Greg Flora says:

    Digging the progress, Jim. When I built my KD Nicholson last summer, I built my leg assembles before I sized my top resulting in a 1/4″ under hang of the top. It hasn’t really affected my work since I’m not using a vise currently, but now that I’m considering the leg vise – I may be building new assemblies (or pawning this bench off as a gift to build it all over again). Thanks again for the update, I’ll stay tuned.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Sounds like a great excuse for a new bench 😉

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s